Swedish Lapland highlights
Swedish Lapland offers you hearty, rustic cuisine prepared with ingredients fresh from the surrounding forests and rivers.
It is a very diverse region allowing visitors to experience a wide range of very unique experiences. One of the most recognised features of Swedish Lapland are the high mountain ranges in the north west of the region. Here mighty rivers are created which flow down through vast forests to the coast. The coastal region includes an archipelago of around 1,250 islands and here the ocean freezes up to one meters thick in winter. There is a true sense of adventure throughout this diverse environment.
Here the Sami people lived for more than 6000 years..
- Day 1 Arrival in Luleå
- Meet and greet your local culture guide. Panoramic tour through Lapland’s winter wonderland – see highlights of the area, beautifully lit up with lights and snow.
Short stop en route for a warm drink. If we are lucky the icebreaker will be taking a break in the harbour and welcome us on board.
Before checking in to our hotel we visit a Sami shop to taste local produce and listen to the owner tell us about life as a reindeer owner and entrepreneur in town.
- Day 2 / Luleå - Gammelstad
- Today is a full day of excursions and city sightseeing. The evening ice concert is sure to be a memory for life.
Visit the Unesco world heritage site Gammelstad. . During the guided walk through the area our guide explains the history, development and traditions. Weather permitting we use a traditional northern Swedish ‘spark’ or kicksledge to get around the church town. Bake your own bread in an old bake house.
Enjoy a traditional Swedish coffee break or as the Swedes say ‘Fika’, with home-made cakes and cinnamon buns, plus a chance to relax. The beautiful café is typical of the 1920s.
This evening you experience a unique ICE concert.
Lapland Ice music
- Day 3 / Jokkmokk Sami village
- Today we take a journey into the heart of Swedish Lapland and visit its cultural centre – Jokkmokk Sami village.
Between Luleå and Jokkmokk a short stop at the tree house is recommended to take photos.
Continue our drive to experience an Artic Polar Circle Ceremony. Next stop is Jokkmokk and the SAMI culture museum Åttje.
Ájtte Museum in Jokkmokk – the Sami centre Jokkmokk, just north of the Arctic Circle, has always been an obvious meeting place for trade, gatherings, festivals and meetings between friends from far and near. Listen to the Sápmi story about the land and its people, and about life and survival in a demanding climate and environment – a story set in the wetlands, forests and mountains.
Afterwards we visit genuine Same in their true environment with reindeer herds and tipis. You are served traditional local Sami bread with reindeer meat and other delicacies. Meet the reindeer and enjoy listening to Sami ‘jojk’.
Continue to Gällivare in the middle of Swedish Lapland and Malmfälten (iron ore fields), also known as The Mining Capital of Europe, and recognised for its beautiful mountain landscape.
- Day 4 / Gällivare - Kiruna
- Arrive in Kiruna and start with an underground visit to the impressive coal mine – the world’s biggest underground iron-ore mine LKAB at 540 metres under ground.
In the afternoon experience a forest tour by dog sledge
During the tour we stop to visit a lavvo (traditional Sami tent). Here you can warm yourself around the open fire and enjoy warm drinks and home-made bread.
After a full day of outdoor activities, it is wonderful to be able to relax and enjoy the Aurora Spa with relaxing moments in our temperate pools. Unwind with a sauna bath and enjoy a glass of wine. If you are lucky the magical northern lights Aurora Borealis will be dancing across the star-studded velvet sky above you.
- Day 5 / Kiruna - ICE hotel
- Visit Kiruna in the morning, an exciting experience where three cultures – Sami, Swedish and Finnish – meet together. The expansion of the world’s largest underground iron mine means the city of Kiruna has to be moved, and the continuous exciting developments have raised international attention. Visit the home of the first manager of LKAB mine, and one of the oldest buildings in Kiruna.
After lunch there is time for some shopping and then return to the hotel for a short break before our afternoon excursion to Jukkasjärvi and its ice hotel.
Drive by bus to Jukkasjärvi. Jukkasjärvi has the oldest church in Lapland, built of wood, and completed in 1608. Famous altarpiece by Bror Hjort and a fantastic organ.
Before dinner at the ICE HOTEL we enjoy a guided tour of this world famous ice hotel.
Dinner at the ICE HOTEL restaurant - cold dishes served on ice plates.
Optional: snowmobile to the ICE HOTEL. 2 people per snowmobile.
This tour takes you through different types of terrain, including frozen lakes, marshlands and deep, frozen forests.
- Day 7 / Departure
- Transfer to Kiruna Airport with direct flights to/from e.g London, Stockholm.