Excursion To Uppsala and Sigtuna
Sigtuna pedestrian alley
Unique cultural treasures and an exciting history are to be found in the city of knowledge and inspiration. Uppsala has retained its small-town charm while offering a big city’s selection of shops, restaurants, and things to do.
Distance from Stockholm, approx 70 km. Distance from Arlanda Airport, approx 30 km, 20 minutes.
- Uppsala city center
- Visit the Uppsala cathedral the largest and tallest church in Scandinavia. Burial church for many famous Swedes: King Gustav I (Vasa), Carl Linnaeus, Nathan Söderblom, and others. Treasury with textiles and silver, shop and information.. Uppsala University's oldest university building is home to the Anatomical Theatre and Augsburg art cabinet. The history of the university is told through some of its famous scientists, such as Linnaeus and Celsius. The museum also displays antique treasures from Egypt, Greece and Rome. Uppsala Castle was constructed during the Gustav Vasa era in the 16th Century. Have a short walk to visit the Silver Bible, Uppsala Castle and Botanic Garden.
- Uppsala surroundings Old Uppsala / Afternoon
- Gamla Uppsala is one of Scandinavia's most noteworthy ancient monuments. Here are three majestic royal mounds from the 6th century, one of Scandinavia's largest burial places, and ruins of a cathedral built in the 12th century. The area is surrounded by myths, with legends of the powerful Svea kings who were descended from the god Frey, as well as of golden heathen temples, human sacrifice and ancient Nordic blood sacrifices.
- Sigtuna / Late afternoon
- It was here in the old town Sigtuna, where the Swedish king AD 980 made this the first christian town in the country. Still today thousand year later the streets are intact. Although less significant today, Sigtuna has an important place in Sweden's early history. The history of Sigtuna before the 11th century, as described in the Norse sagas and other early medieval sources, can be found in the article Old Sigtuna. Many church and monastery ruins still stand, and the old city structure has not been remodelled. A short stop for own shopping in the picturesque little city center is recommended.
- Guide & coach all day
- Lunch in Uppsala
- Entrance to University Museum
- Entrance to the Silver Bible exhibition
- Admission fee for groups to the Cathedral